Our chocolate buttermilk cake is the base for so many of our amazing layer cakes! This recipe has been tried and tested and tweaked over four years at Flavourtown Bakery and it's still one of our favourites in the bakery.
Every day we hand deliver cakes across London and this chocolate cake recipe is always at the heart of those delicious deliveries.
The buttermilk lends an amazing crumb and is super moist! Sometimes chocolate cake can be very dry and crumbly but not this bad boy.
It's great for cakes or cupcakes and has a really grown up chocolate punch.
- 225g light brown sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 275g plain flour
- 100g valrhona cocoa powder
- 350ml buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugars for 5-10 min until fluffy and light in colour
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, bicarb and salt together and set aside. Mix vanilla into buttermilk and set aside.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat for 1 min between each addition
- Stop and scrape down the bowl and mix again until pillowy and well incorporated.
- Add one-third of the dry ingredients on a slow speed and mix until just incorporated.
- Add half the buttermilk and mix just until the milk is incorporated.
- Stop and scrape down and add another third of the flour followed by the buttermilk.
- Once the final batch of flour is incorporated scrape down one final time and ensure the batter is one constant colour all the way through
- Scoop into baking pans and bake for 24 min at 300 f
The cake shown in the video is our Snickers Champ cake and you can get your own here!